Issues in adopting contemporary science and technology to sustain and secure small holder farmers’ livelihood, nutrition and health security
The following are some of the measures for promoting sustainable livelihoods, nutrition and health security of small farm households:
- Enhance the ecological foundations essential for sustainable agriculture, particularly soil, water and biodiversity
- Enhance productivity and reduce the cost of production through higher factor productivity. Techniques will include precision farming and organic farming
- Examine and promote opportunities for agro-processing and value addition to the biomass.
- Introduce agricultural remedies to nutritional maladies prevailing in an area through mainstreaming nutritional criteria in the selection of components of the prevailing farming system
- Address undernourishment and basic health needs of all members of the household by promoting nutrition awareness and access to basic health care, clean drinking water and improved sanitation facilities
This session discussed the issues/gaps in policies and practices related to the use of science, technology and rural innovations, to the economic, ecological and social advantage of smallholder farming systems. The advantages of the farming system for nutrition approach, minimizing climate risks and mainstreaming gender and nutrition in agriculture and food production and sustainable livelihoods were specially analyzed.